Wednesday, July 24

crochet 101 :: slip stitch part II


Crochet 101 is a series of crochet tutorials where I will teach you how to complete the basic stitches needed to crochet.


Hi :) 

How has your practicing been going? Good I hope!

Yesterday we learned how to make a slip stitch.

Today's lesson is:

Now, as long as I have been crocheting (4 years), I have never come across a pattern that has 2 or more consecutive rows of slip stitches. But since we are learning this stitch, I thought it would be best to show you what to do at the end of the first row, should you ever come across a pattern that tells you to do this.

As far as practicing the slip stitch, if you don't want to do more than 1 row of slip stitch, but want to keep practicing it, just make your starting chain longer.

Okay. Let's get started!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will need:
*Yarn
*Hook

In this post, I show you where to look for what type of hook you will need for your yarn.

Step 1:
Start with your first row of slip stitches. For this tutorial, I have made 10 slip stitches (like in the first slip stitch lesson).

*Step 2:
Yarn over your hook.

*Step 3:
Pull the yarn over through the loop on your hook...

...until it is completely through the loop. You have just chained 1 for your turning chain.



*PLEASE NOTE: Normally with the slip stitch, you would not make a chain 1 for the turning chain, but I prefer to chain 1. You can choose to omit the turning chain if you prefer, but this tutorial will show a chain 1 because that is how I crochet. If you are going to omit the turning chain, you would turn your work at the end of row 1 and work your first stitch of the second row into the 1st chain from the hook. 
This might be a little tight.... so my personal suggestion would be to just practice this stitch with a long starting chain, no rows. If you want to practice rows, I would do the chain 1. Or practice all 3 ways to see how you want to keep going lol!


Step 4:
Turn your work (in the direction showed by the purple arrows).

You are now looking at the back of your work.

Tilt your work back toward you so that you can see the loops at the top. There should be 11 loops; 10 slip stitches from the previous row plus the chain 1 turning chain.

We will be working our first stitch into the second chain from the hook (marked with the purple circle).

Step 5:
Insert your hook.

Step 6:
Yarn over.

Step 7:
Pull the yarn through the loop.

There should be 2 loops on your hook.

Continue to pull the yarn through the last loop.

You have completed your first slip stitch of your next row.

So, again:
Move to the next stitch and insert your hook.

Yarn over.

Pull the yarn through the loop.

2 loops on your hook.

Continue to pull the yarn through the second loop.

Now there are 2 completed slip stitches of row 2.

Continue with steps 5-7 in every stitch across until there is 1 stitch left.

This last stitch is the turning chain from row 1. I have turned it so that you can see the top loops.

For the next step, I like to insert my hook through both loops of the turning chain (shown in the purple circle) before moving on to the next row, but a lot of tutorials and YouTube videos show inserting your hook into one loop only... If it is easier for you to insert your hook into only one of the loops of the turning chain, then do that instead. For this tutorial, I will show how to insert the hook into both loops because that is how I crochet.

Step 8:
Insert your hook into both loops of the turning chain.

Step 9:
Yarn over.

Step 10:
Pull the yarn through the stitch.

2 loops on your hook.

Continue to pull the yarn through the last loop on your hook.

Your last slip stitch is now complete...

...and you have completed your second row of slip stitches. (The picture above shows what 3 rows of slip stitches looks like.)



Below is a video I made to show these steps in action. I have slowed the video down so that every step is seen. I have also added music to the video because I filmed this video with my phone and I have no idea how to mute the background while recording. Feel free to mute if piano is not your thing lol
Enjoy!

That's it for this week's Crochet 101 lessons. We will pick back up next Tuesday when we will be learning the single crochet stitch!


Come back tomorrow for a regularly scheduled post!

post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips